Saturday 8 January 2011

Sculpted Emptiness (A Magpie-Inspired Tale)

Strange present.
Sat on my desk.
Don't really know what it does.
Or how it came to pass,
That this was the perfect choice,
For a friend to give me.

I don't get it.
The abstract shapes.
Sat there, starting at me.
As though I should read deeply,
Into the smooth black form,
Like a mistake from the clay room.

Cold to touch.
I run my fingers over.
Shiny surface curling round them.
Strange protrusions.
Why would you put them there?
Feeling lost in semantics.

Feeling guilt.
Creeping from behind my ears.
As the black, hollow form
Repulses me so very much.
Surely I've just missed the point?
Or even the smooth rounded end?

This poem was inspired by the intriguing photo prompt at Magpie Tales

9 comments:

Priyanka Bhowmick said...

well composed descriptive poem. firstly it was tough for me to guess out what the statue is all about, later i recognized. good magpie

Claudia said...

i like what you've done with tess' magpie prompt (wondered myself what this could be..) and i like the title you choose - sculpted emptiness fits perfectly..

Gina said...

Nice poem! I enjoyed reading it. And I also wanted to know that I nominated you for a blog award on my blog.

Lucy Westenra said...

Puzzled by the prompt has lead you to a thoughtful Magpie.

Carmela-J said...

Amusingly almost immediately after publishing this one, I finally saw the shape was actually 2 people supporting a man on top... but the puzzlement as to what it was before that turned out to be quite a fun place to respond to the prompt from. =) Thank you for all the lovely comments.

signed...bkm said...

nice questioning why something that repulses us so pulls us toward it and begs closer look or touch...bkm

Andreas said...

I enjoy how tactile your poem is.
The two last lines are strikingly ingenious.

Tess Kincaid said...

Fascinating how some art speaks to some, more than others. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I invite you to join Jingle Poetry Potluck week 17, link in 1 to 3 old poems today, Thanks for the valuable support!


Potluck Week 17 Treat/Awards 4 You, Enjoy!

lovely poetry.