Wednesday 5 January 2011

An Ode to Spreadsheets


First week back after the holidays is always the worst... so my (unfortunately quite inelegant, I wrote this in like 10 mins this morning!) One Shot Wednesday offering is a satirical ode to how the office environment feels after a fortnight away... and most importantly - the spreadsheet.

Wednesday draws on,
Like the mistress of gloom.
Too far until Friday for the week to end soon.
The ticking of the clock tugs at my feet,
Restless in stillness tucked under my desk.

Back to work, feeling the daily grind,
Running the rhythms right out of my mind.
Strange peopleless calls and faceless mail,
The shimmer of light against beige-walled veils.
Tell me...

How long has it been?
Since this long day did start?
Surely more than the 2 hours that have dragged on thus far?
Even my sums start to spark interesting plans.
As dark spreadsheet magic allures my mind.

Control-C - Control-V, copy and paste,
A simple task done with ease and grace.
A sum of the rows and a formula here,
Complex operations done with no fear.
Simple...

Effortless charts,
Created with but a click,
Hand curled round mouse, the tool of the quick.
Ridged plastic squares, arranged in a block,
Rhythmically tapping the sum of my heart.

This day of frustration at the daily grind,
Could turn out, after all, to be just fine.
As the lure of the spreadsheet grips with full force,
Like a whirlwind of fire ravaging without remorse.
Just once...

Wish to achieve,
The holy grail of Excel,
The pivot table - an operation designed in hell.
Yet everyone needs a challenging goal,
To keep the rhythm of work pounding on in their soul.

3 comments:

Iliteratepoet said...

I loved this, made me smile. Very witty and humorous, great job!

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Haha - you made me laugh - I completely sympathize with you and I loved the wry elegance of cut and paste

Steve Isaak said...

Captured well the feel of office/comp work - excellent, tight, great flow.