Sunday 9 January 2011

A Countryside Stroll

The following poem was inspired by the beautiful picture prompt at One Shoot Sunday by Kevin “KJ” Halliday.  

Dream-like illusions,
Flood my waking thoughts,
As we stroll along the sunset path,
Towards the medieval church,
Watching the light fade to red,
Her hazel eyes so alive.

Dull creep of aching muscles,
Curls from my toes to my thighs,
As my legs recall the country lanes,
But feeling on top of the world.
Endorphins flow between us,
In awe of the luminous world.

Like a time capsule, frozen,
The little sleepy village silently observes,
As we wander along hand in hand.
A smile creeps across my cold face,
As the isolation seems to soothe,
And build intensity in her touch.

Her beautiful blonde hair fluttering,
Like a thousand butterflies around her,
Framing those beautiful, soulful eyes,
A perfect countryside princess.
Playfully, she runs ahead,
Red dress dancing along with her.

Dulcet laughter squeals "catch me"!
Smile creeping further at the childish game,
The silent village watching over like a parent,
With mild amusement as she runs on ahead.
I run forwards like a lumbering fool,
Amused by the challenge.

Intensity builds as she dances around me,
Teasing my inability to capture my prey.
More intently now, I watch cat-like and sharp,
Each footstep she takes like a bird in flight.
Laughter erupts as I rush forward to catch her,
Take her in my arms and steal a kiss.

Perfect, this day in the country has been.

.

9 comments:

Kenia Santos said...

Such a dreamy woman would attract everybody's attention whenever she decided to go for a stroll. =)

Beautiful you.

Kiss you dear. =*

Anonymous said...

I was there with you Carmela! Almost went down the sunset crimson path myself, but I took a slightly different route.

I think I read on your tweets that you're new to writing? Flippin heck girl, I wouldn't be able to tell!

Good job!
Shan
@awdures

Priyanka Bhowmick said...

that was so beautifully done. loved your imagery n craft..

Claudia said...

oh what a lovely countryside stroll you took us on..beautiful

hedgewitch said...

I always like it when someone sees the exact opposite of what I do in the prompt pic, and then makes me see their version, as you did here. Playful and serene.

dustus said...

Wonderful read! "I run forwards like a lumbering fool, / Amused by the challenge." When you add the "catch me!" and princess aspect to it.. A great poem. Cheers

Anonymous said...

A striking portrait of a woman, and her effect - strong attention to detail stemming from what sounds to be a very lovely stroll indeed. Unique and tranquil take on the prompt.

Fireblossom said...

And perfect, your poetic description of that day!

Anonymous said...

What a scene! Ethereal and playful at the same time... I could see the game, feel the beating hearts of new lovers (at least, it felt new in my head as I read it). You made the scene real for me, and brought a joy to the picture that I hadn't seen.