Sunday 2 January 2011

A Pop Star Trip to the Beach

This poem was inspired the photo prompt at One Shoot Sunday - photo by Danielle Kelly.



Trip to the beach.
Promenade.
Another opportunity.
For my publicist.
To shine.

Swathed in taffeta.
Itchy and raw.
Float down boardwalks.
Pretending the world.
Looks only to me.

Achingly hot.
Skin dripping in sweat.
But heads turn.
And pride swells.
Within my soul.

Feather corset.
Tickles my neck.
Unbearably so.
The urge to scratch.
Almost too much.

False smile.
Must look at ease.
Lace veil clouds vision.
Not a care in the world.
Even if I can barely see.

False fun in my eyes.
This is how I roll.
Lusting for sweatpants.
But no one can know.
My inner desires.

The things I must do.
That people enjoy.
Bemuse and amuse.
Yet make me rich.
So no complaints here.


10 comments:

Kenia Santos said...

I'll read it again to the sound of French music. It's beautiful, a new photograph in words. =)

I like the way you tell a story here.

Kisses from Brazil! =*

dustus said...

Clever how you gave voice to "her thoughts" to sound so realistic. "False fun in my eyes. / This is how I roll. / Lusting for sweatpants. / But no one can know. / My inner desires..." Excellent Challenge reply!

hedgewitch said...

Hilarious! Lusting for sweatpants is the line of the day...really enjoyed your satirical, cynical and most entertaining take. The little details accumulate to paint a scathing portrait of those who make their way in life with style not substance.

Fireblossom said...

Well after all, beauty like hers does NOT just happen!

She's ready for her close-up, Mister Demille. Wonderful, entertaining stuff.

Anonymous said...

Nice, made me chuckle. A pop star huh? Sounds about right. Such an unusual image...it does seem something a star would try to do, especially nowadays. Entertaining piece with a smooth flow of thought.

Trying to picture someone lusting for sweatpants...oh dears.

Gigi Ann said...

Could it be Gaga, the pop star? I know the feeling when longing for those sweatpants. Very witty and fun poem, I for one loved it.

Maureen said...

Fun take! Hard to get out of mind that line about "lusting for sweatpants".

signed...bkm said...

Reminds me of Lady Gaga - how she must love taking a shower and putting on a pair of sweatpants away the waking world of pop culture...bkm

Glynn said...

You caught it - the ultimate emptiness of celebrity. Good poem.

Marshy said...

very enjoyable...loved the lady gaga commment...sweatpants eh!!! this was a great share...pete