Saturday 27 November 2010

The Winner Takes It All

Written from the perspective of a late twenty-something man...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Magpie Tales picture prompt #42.
Once in my lifetime it meant everything to compete,
Against everyone, to win every prize.
I would fight for teams with violent intent,
Eyes firmly fixed on the goals that I set.
Surrounded myself with superficial friends,
Celebrating success and revelling in victory.
It never occurred to me back then,
That the glory of the schoolyard could fade.
I sit, in my lonely room, searching for meaning,
Staring at the rusted cup before me.
Remembering the days when it mean so much more.

There was a time when everyone knew my name,
Stopped in the corridors and celebrated my fame.
An ego stroke here, an ego stroke there,
My perfect existence, blissfully happy.
A pained sigh escapes my lips.
The reality of life just didn't shape up,
To the life full of warmth and significance before.
Now the streets are filled with stone faces,
Staring back without care for who I am.
No connection to speak of, no respect,
As to them I am just another face in the crowd.

But I stop.  And pause for a second.
Knowing that my heart doesn't fully believe these words.
I crave to be loved, to be a hero again,
Wistfully looking for what used to be.
But maybe this feeling that haunts me now,
Is really a sign of something much warmer.
That after these times of sadness alone,
This perpetual bachelor is ready for a wife.
For building a nest, ready for the day,
When I can nurture a brood, guide them.
Show them a path to a beautiful life,
And be a hero again.



6 comments:

Berowne said...

Beautifully written; moving.

Fireblossom said...

It seems at best a mixed blessing to have early success. Reaching the high point of one's life too soon can leave the rest seeming anti-climactic, i would think. But I love the way redemption rears its pretty head at the end. I enjoyed this.

Maggie said...

Very moving.

Anonymous said...

heartfelt words.

Anonymous said...

Despite the sadness in it, the end is so hopeful!! And that really made me feel very nice!
A beautifully written poem of success, defeat and of newfound hope... Kudos!!

Anonymous said...

Victory changes meaning with time. :)