Wednesday 6 October 2010

Averting my gaze... or running away?

I'm frozen on the spot in the middle of the street.  He's there.  She's there.  And yet I can't move my feet.  I want to duck, to dive, to hide in the corner, but I'm stuck right in front of them like a bright red dot.  I might as well shout at the top of my voice "Come flaunt your love!  Tear my heart from my soul!".  They surely must know my anguish inside, as my rabbit-like expression creases with pain.  Like a knife through the side my thorn is their rose, the pain only worsens that they surely must know.  Don't they see?  Or don't they care?  My breathing quickens, there's pounding in my chest, and finally the adrenaline kicks in my head.  Like a child learning to walk their first steps, I shakily force each foot to move.  Step by step.  Try not to fall.  Gracefully averting like I never even saw.  Not flinching my pose, but pretending see, something beautiful close by that I have to approach.  I watch with intent from the corner of my eye, watching them walk tentatively by.  Relief starts to flood... they think I never saw... their loving affection that could put my heart on the flood.  I continue to ponder, to look over and wander, until I'm sure they've finally gone.  Breathe.  Breathe again.  It's never too much as long as I can get away.

No comments: